Wednesday, December 07, 2005

An unproductive day

This morning I woke up feeling a bit under the weather so that gave me the perfect excuse to stay home and finally work on the paper I'm trying to write. Despite knowing in the back of my brain somewhere that there is no way I'm going to be able to write this paper in between 15-20 minute incubations in the lab I still tried, unsuccessfully. Thus, this paper has been in the works for a few months since I haven't had time to devote to just writing it. Well today was going to be that day but my procrastination tendencies took the better of me.

First off, I slept in a bit today. My excuse being that I don't want to get sick so I would sleep off my under the weather feeling. It would be just my luck that the one year I don't get the flu shot I'll get sick. And why didn't I get the flu shot? Because I didn't have time to actually go to the medi center to get it. Isn't that a tad counterintuitive.

Once I poured myself a cup of coffee I figured I would get down to work. Oh but wait, I was going to try to find a clever gift for that grad student who has helped me out so much this year. So a searching on the internet I did go. Unfortunately after an hour or so of searching I didn't find anything that really caught my eye except a mug with a funny saying about caffeine.However, I'm not sure a mug really makes up for all the time and effort he has put in helping me over the last few months. I also found a few other things with funny sayings that would be great for him such as "I can't be fired. Slaves are sold". I figured that wouldn't go over well with our supervisor though. There was also "I love deadlines. I especially like the whoosing sound they make as they go by". That one made me laugh since it is so perfect for him. Anyways, after hours of procrastination my favorite is still the caffeine one.

After I figured I'd think on the gift for a while I started doing some work. Not on my paper though of course. This was procrastination work. The type of work you have to do anyways but it doesn't need to be done urgently. That way you are getting something done so you don't feel like you are procrastinating but you aren't working on what you should be working on. So after almost a day of procrastination work I still haven't touched the paper. No wonder it is taking months to write.

No comments: