Tuesday, July 11, 2006

What next?

As I get closer and closer to finishing my PhD I keep thinking, what next? So far, nothing, which when I think about it gives me a mini anxiety attack. I think I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to do a post doc. Why? Well, for one I don't really want to be a professor. Blasphemy, I know. A PhD who doesn't want to go into academia?!? So then what? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Perhaps a research associate or doing research for industry or government. I've applied at a number of places, had one interview but that's it so far. I'm starting to worry that maybe I should do a post doc. Not because I want to but because I'm supposed to. It's almost ingrained that you do the PhD, then the post doc, then get an academic position, then get tenure and live happily ever after. Ya right. I'm tossed up though. Even if I don't want to go into academia I'm wondering if I should still do a post doc "just in case". However, since I don't really want to do a post doc I would probably hate every minute of it and that wouldn't be good for anyone. Argh! Thesis writing, deciding what to do for the rest of my life... ya no stress at all.

4 comments:

ScienceWoman said...

I hear ya. But another way to look at a post-doc is that it gives you more experience (and time) to find that perfect for you non-academic job. Good luck.

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

Katie said...

Gosh, I feel the SAME way. I so do not want to do a post-doc when I finish!!!

Truthfully though, you probably "should" do a post-doc just in case.

Although I am kicking and screaming at the idea of doing post-doc myself!

Charlene Towry said...

It’s true that some grad student think of doing what’s next after getting their degree. And all of them worried about the job market they are into. But, with all the hardship of how to write a phd dissertation and the stress it cause, I know that it would be easier to know what to do next. Anyway, I do hope you can find a good thing after the getting the degree.